“Therapy” the integration and practice of new skills to not only survive, but thrive. Exploring new skills, leads to restoring your true potential.
It is possible to Upgrade the Nervous System, by investigating our movement habits that we have adopted over our lives. Through quality movement systems that reintroduce sensation, movement and pleasure, as with the Feldenkrais Method (R), we can attend to ourselves, and upgrade the “wear and tear” model to a new way of thinking, “wear and repair”. Movement pioneer Ruthy Alon refers to this as “biological optimism”. By exploring “possibilities” you can discover how to make movement “easier” with less effort.
The integration of Yoga Therapy and these gentle practices allow for continual adaptations for your individual changing needs. Viniyoga™ methodology by Gary Kraftsow, is a collaborative approach between you the student, and the teacher. This healing somatic experience uses the breath, self awareness, and the soma experience to blend beautifully by integrating with these other somatic practices.
The specific health issues remain the same, chronic or acute pain, alignment, posture, scoliosis, osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia, head/neck/shoulder tension, or injuries from years past, even back to childhood, just to name a few, can all be explored and movement made easier!
Movement can become easier, through simply exploring new possibilities, by using less effort, letting go of old habits and introducing the Nervous System to new beneficial movements.
SPECIALIZED THERAPIES OFFERED:
- Integrative Yoga Therapy for Physical and Emotional
- Addresses physical conditions including: Pain Management: respecting your pain threshold, safe comfortable practice Fibromyalgia, & Chronic fatigue: honoring your body’s energy levels
- Skeletal alignment: Back pain, scoliosis, kyphosis/lordosis, sports injuries, MVA’s
- Addresses mental conditions that accompany pain including: Mental and Emotional issues usually accompany the physical, such as feelings of hopelessness, anxiety, negative view of your body, it’s dysfunctional and letting you down, frustration, and anger to name a few.
TRAUMA SENSITIVE Practice
- Integrative guided meditation and mindfulness:
- Somatic Practice: natural movements, body awareness
- Environment: Taught in a comfortable safe environment
- Confidentiality: Absolute confidentiality
- Helped Conditions: Anxiety, depression, grief, loss, isolation, insomnia, fertility, dealing with violence, or abuse to name a few.
- “Not how far can you move”, but “How still can you be”. Deep, rejuvenating postures and shapes which stimulate the parasympathetic nervous system with passive releases for physical limitations resulting from injury or illness:
- Initiates the Relaxation Response: Deep relaxation mentally and physically where healing can begin, stress hormone cortisol is decreased, replaces the “fight, flight or freeze”state of the Sympathetic Nervous System (SNS).
- Listen to your body more than you listen to you pain: Listen to your body’s whispers, so it doesn’t need to scream, you are not your pain!
- Improves: sleep, immune response, energy, memory, concentration, self-confidence,
Aids stagnant blood and lymph drainage, during or post chemo and calms the mind
PRE-POST NATAL Practice
- Appropriate modifications for all 4 trimesters (4th is post-partum):
- Gentle Asana practice for all 4 trimesters
- Pre-Natal: builds strong, healthy pelvic environment for mom and baby
- Post-Partum: healing the body, depression, fatigue, diastasis recti, feelings of isolation
- Integrative Approach to Health
- Health: “Health is not just a possibility that you might achieve…..it is a natural state of being” (Acharya Shunya). Our bodies contain self-repairing and self-healthing mechanisms.
- Epigenetics: In the science of epigenetics, according to which our genes are not fixed but fluid, and our environment, made up of daily food habits, thoughts, relationships, self-care, all impact our genes. We cannot change our genes, but we can affect outcomes by positively modifying our lifestyle.
- Ayurveda: Ayurveda is a way of eating, living, and approaching life itself, and inherently medicinal! By choosing whole healing foods, a balanced life-style, inner calm, addressing body, mind and spirit in one sweep.
- Defining Health: A healthy person is one who enjoys balance in all 3 doshas, (constitution), healthy digestive and metabolic processes, firmness of the tissues, and an efficient excretion system.
I-Rest (Integrative Restorative) Meditation
- Integrative technique for Relaxation to enhance your ability to sense, welcome, respond to and heal your body and mind. You cannot feel and think about your body at the same time, you can do one or the other! So the longer you stay with body sensations, the more your thinking slows down, and the deeper the natural relaxation response will be throughout your body and mind.
- Relaxation Response:
As the Central Nervous System goes into the Relaxation Response, you will notice:
Profound state of rest and relaxation
Decreased heart and breathing rate
Increased levels of brain waves that are associated with deep relaxation
Decrease in the stress hormone cortisol
Feelings of satisfaction, inner balance and peace
- Relaxation of body and mind
- Restful sleep
- Relief from anxiety and fear
- Reduced tension in your muscles
- Improved interpersonal relationships
- Increased Efficiency in your work
Practice body sensing at least 20 minutes a day. It will become easier to reach that place of deep relaxation. Try and integrate the practice of body sensing throughout your days whether driving, working at your desk or shopping. It is a valuable and powerful tool. Get comfortable with your friend for life!
Most people find that it takes approximately 10 sessions to leave you feeling comfortable and knowledgeable about the practice. They find things are lighter and have changed for them by approaching situations with this new-found approach to their lives.
Delivery of Service:
- All services are available On-Line or in your home
- Assessments and Sessions - I visit you in your home or On Line available
- Small group- In your home or On-Line - 2-3 people (Including Yoga Nidra, Pre-Natal/Post-Partum and Restorative)
- Ayurveda - Consultation & Sessions - In your Home or On Line
Office: 604-369-8785, Cell: 604-369-8785
(C-IAYT) Certified Yoga Therapist,
Pre-Post Natal Consultant, Specialty (Pelvic Floor)
A personalized program of physical pelvic rehabilitation including:
- Initial assessment
- Development of program designed to your specific needs
- Guided teaching of varied and specific techniques for Prevention, Releasing, Strengthening and Recovery of the pelvic region
Conditions that can benefit from Pelvic Floor Muscle Training (PFMT)
- Pre-Natal, builds strong, healthy pelvic environment for mom and baby
- Urinary Incontinence, Stress, Urge or Mixed
- Symptoms of PMS, menstrual irregularities, fertility and menopause
- Pelvic Organ Prolapse, (POP). Living an active life with POP
- Release strategies for hypertonic and hypotonic (tight or loose) pelvic floor (PF) muscles
- Diastasis Recti Abdominus, healing separation of recti muscles (mummy tummy)
- Pelvic Girdle – Stabilization of pelvis from eg: sports injuries, MVA’s, post-op, scoliosis, or asymmetries in the body.
Office: 604-369-8785, Cell: 604-369-8785
CERTIFIED SACRED PASSAGES END OF LIFE DOULA
"The Conscious Dying Principles" of the Conscious Dying Institute"
- Increase Beauty, Pleasure Contentment
- Provide Emotional and Spiritual Support
- Initiate Conversations About the Dying Process
- Practice Selfcare to Reduce Burnout & Emotional Fatigue
- Demystify the Stages of the Dying Process
- Acknowledge Mysteries, Miracles and Unexplained Events
- Learn How to Be with Intense Emotions
- Honor Other's Beliefs Without Them Threatening Your Own
- Be a Steward of Conscious Deaths
- Attend the Bedside - No one Dies Alone
What Is An End of Life Doula?
An End of Life Doulas is a front line caregiver providing comforting care to clients and their loved ones during illness and the dying process. This compassionate presence increases quality life moments for all involved.
They are trained in holistic care modalities that bring comfort, and peace to the dying. They fill the care-gap by extending support to loved ones, family members and medical teams.
A Doula helps to identify life and care priorities, using "Best Three Months" exercises, life coaching and vision planning guided by the wishes and choices of you and your loved one.
A Doula can assist families and loved ones to focus on what is most important to you, creating ceremony or ritual and bringing healing practices to the sacred process of dying, by honoring and carrying out the beliefs, cultural practices and values that bring comfort and peace.
An End of Life Doula helps to create a beautiful "Life Through Death Experience" , helping to define the care you want and need and filling the gap between medical and or hospice care to support your emotional, spiritual and non-medical physical care needs Before, During and After Death
If you, a family member or someone you know is going through this most sacred of transitions, maybe I can help. I am available for consultations or questions you may have.